The Tech Talent Charter
Why?Just 17% of Tech/ICT workers in the UK are female, only one in ten females are currently taking A-Level computer studies, and yet there is a looming digital skills gap where the UK needs one million more tech workers by 2020. Half the population cannot be ignored, and nor should it be, if there is to be a more diverse, inclusive, fairer and commercially successful tech workforce and industry.
How?Charter signatories undertake to:
● support attraction, recruitment and retention practices that are designed to increase the diversity of their workforce;
● define their own timetable for change and implement the strategy that is right for their organisation (acknowledging that all signatories will have different starting points);
measure the diversity profile of their UK employees and to share this data for (anonymous) collective publication.
Who?The TTC was founded by a number of organisations across the recruitment, tech and social enterprise fields that included Monster.co.uk, Code First Girls, Stemettes, Apps for Good, RBI, Michael Page, JLR Solutions and Global Radio. From early 2017 engagement widened further to Nationwide, the BBC, Cogeco Peer1, Tech UK, Tech London Advocates and the Cabinet Office. Work to expand the signatories is now well underway with the support of the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) who are leading on the UK digital skills agenda.
HOW CAN YOU DELIVER A DIVERSE TECH WORKFORCE?
- REGISTER INTERESTContact us to learn more about what being a Tech Talent Charter signatory means for an employer
- ASSESSReview your own employee diversity data and decide what sort of changes you want to drive
- SIGN UPGet your organisation to formally become a TTC signatory and publicise this diversity commitment to your workforce
- InspireUse the TTC materials to get buy in from your colleagues and executive
- PLANLook at the best practice materials in our “Forum” to see protocols, guidelines and initiatives that have worked in driving greater diversity, to help your frame the timeline for your changes
- ADVOCATEAct as a Tech Talent Charter advocate and spread the word on our mission